COPLEY HOSPITAL HOSTS AARP SMART DRIVER CLASS April 28th Class Open to All
Cars have changed. So have traffic rules, driving conditions and the roads you travel every day. Copley Hospital and the American Association of Retired Persons (AARP) are pleased to offer a Smart Driver Safety Class on Monday April 28th. This one day, four-hour class will be held in the Stevens Conference Room at Copley Hospital (2nd floor at the Copley Health Center Building) from 8:30am to 1:00pm. The program is designed to help drivers age 50 and older improve their driving skills. To register, or for more information, contact Copley Hospital’s Wellness Center at 888-8369 or online at www.copleyvt.org/Community&WellnessResources.
Local AARP-trained volunteer Dave Peters explains that by taking a driver safety course you'll learn the current rules of the road, defensive driving techniques and how to operate your vehicle more safely in today's increasingly challenging driving environment. “Participants will also learn how to manage and accommodate common age-related changes in vision, hearing and reaction time.” The class will also cover:
• How to minimize the effects of dangerous blind spots
• How to maintain the proper following distance behind another car
• The safest ways to change lanes and make turns at busy intersections
• Proper use of safety belts, air bags, antilock brakes and new technology found in cars today
• Ways to monitor your own and others' driving skills and capabilities
• The effects of medications on driving
• The importance of eliminating distractions, such as eating, smoking and using a cellphone
After completing the course, you will have a greater appreciation of driving challenges and a better understanding of how to avoid potential collisions and injuring yourself or others.
Copley Hospital’s Wellness Center offers a variety of programs including CPR and first aid, classes for expectant parents and personalized services through its Workplace Wellness Program. For more information on the many programs and classes available through Copley’s Wellness Center, call 888-8369.
Call today to register for the April 28th Smart Driver Class at Copley. The class is open to all including AARP members and non-members. Participants may receive a discount, depending on your automobile insurance carrier. There is a fee for the class.